Should we invite children to speak their home language in school?
We were asked this question during English class and to write about what we thought of the question. I wrote in my day book that " Although home language is good to know and speak you should not use it in the class room." I think that in the class room there should be a common language that everyone in the classroom can understand. In our classrooms we use "Proper English" and most of us have been learning this language since the first word we spoke. If i came into the classroom speaking Latin no one would understand me that is why i think it is important to speak a common language in the class room.
I agree. If everyone was to use their home language in the classroom then it would cause confusion and lack of understanding of what is going on in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteIn a way, we could incorporate our home language in our professional environment, at least just a little. In my home language, there's a little broken english now and then, with a southern accent at times, plus a little of my parents language combine. At school, I like to be me but make sure I'm presenting myself the way I want someone else to when they are presenting to me. Hope that makes sense. HA
ReplyDeleteI think this question is so hard to answer because home language in classrooms has its pros and cons. It can be helpful for individual students to have a better understanding and interest in their work but it can also be difficult to bring the group together as one and work on things together because it would all be different.
ReplyDeleteI agree about having a common language in the classroom. However, I believe that there are many benefits to Home Language also. For example, since it's what we grew up around, it can tend to put us more at ease and allow us to be more comfortable when discussing certain topics.
ReplyDelete