this started in kindergarten when I learned to write and wrote a mothers day book. I saw the book one time and I thought it was cute the way i thought but i do not remember much about it. The next thing on my time line was in the 7th grade when the school forced us to write a book of poems. if anyone really knows me they will know I am not a poet not even close to one so this was hard for me. the third thing on my time line was the first time I got praised for something I wrote. I remember that it was the 10th grade and my teacher gave us a picture. She told us to make up a story of what was in the picture and I love art so I let my imagination rome. it was a wonderful story and it later disappeared. the fourth thing on my time line was from the 12th grade. The 12th grade was the first year I got an A in English. My 5th and final thing on my time line was when i first stepped into my collage English1101 class. This class from the start was different from any other English class I have ever been in. The teacher I noticed was more relaxed and did not give us a set thing we had to write about. I feel like i finally have freedom and that i can express myself which is hard sometimes. How do you express yourselves? do you have similar experiences?
Friday, September 7, 2012
We were assigned to make a time line of our literary life.

this started in kindergarten when I learned to write and wrote a mothers day book. I saw the book one time and I thought it was cute the way i thought but i do not remember much about it. The next thing on my time line was in the 7th grade when the school forced us to write a book of poems. if anyone really knows me they will know I am not a poet not even close to one so this was hard for me. the third thing on my time line was the first time I got praised for something I wrote. I remember that it was the 10th grade and my teacher gave us a picture. She told us to make up a story of what was in the picture and I love art so I let my imagination rome. it was a wonderful story and it later disappeared. the fourth thing on my time line was from the 12th grade. The 12th grade was the first year I got an A in English. My 5th and final thing on my time line was when i first stepped into my collage English1101 class. This class from the start was different from any other English class I have ever been in. The teacher I noticed was more relaxed and did not give us a set thing we had to write about. I feel like i finally have freedom and that i can express myself which is hard sometimes. How do you express yourselves? do you have similar experiences?
this started in kindergarten when I learned to write and wrote a mothers day book. I saw the book one time and I thought it was cute the way i thought but i do not remember much about it. The next thing on my time line was in the 7th grade when the school forced us to write a book of poems. if anyone really knows me they will know I am not a poet not even close to one so this was hard for me. the third thing on my time line was the first time I got praised for something I wrote. I remember that it was the 10th grade and my teacher gave us a picture. She told us to make up a story of what was in the picture and I love art so I let my imagination rome. it was a wonderful story and it later disappeared. the fourth thing on my time line was from the 12th grade. The 12th grade was the first year I got an A in English. My 5th and final thing on my time line was when i first stepped into my collage English1101 class. This class from the start was different from any other English class I have ever been in. The teacher I noticed was more relaxed and did not give us a set thing we had to write about. I feel like i finally have freedom and that i can express myself which is hard sometimes. How do you express yourselves? do you have similar experiences?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can really relate to how praise from teachers shaped me as a writer. I think in fact that the positive praise I got through school was sort of a detriment. I was so attached to outside praise that I sometimes still have a hard time figuring out what writing is important for me to do.
ReplyDeleteIt was hard for me to remember things from childhood as well. A lot of the writing that means more to me was from my high school years. I'm not a fan of poetry either...it was never my strong suit. But I definitely agree with what you're saying about getting praise from teachers. It makes you feel more confident and good about your work.
ReplyDeleteI really relate to what you were saying from teachers giving us a set guideline about what to write about. I also felt the same way when I stepped into English 1101 I really like the freedom we have in class and it is really exciting to be in such a fun class. I am also not a poet, and I also have a similar experience with just letting the creative juices flow and writing an amazing paper(and mine is lost also).
ReplyDeleteI dont really know of anyone that started writing before their first year in school. Thats when i began as you did, i just remember all of the guidelines that teachers would place before us. they would say that you cant do this but you have to have 4 sentences. I really learned to write under that and i almost cant write anyother way
ReplyDelete