Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ethnography Project: Public Writing


My group, consisting of Jeremy (Fitz), and Hayleigh we were assigned to compose a project about public writing. We met in the cafe in the library and thought of ideas we could base our project on the related to our topic.We came up with three main topics, signage, white boards, and graffiti.

Picture1030121929_1.jpg (Our map for the assignment)


Jeremy was in charge of white boards and Hayleigh did her portion on graffiti.  I chose signage. As I walked around campus I saw signs that were normal telling students about clubs, fraternity, party's, and classes. Then there were a few that really stood out to me and they were not your ordinary signs. They were however signage, it was a form a written communication informing its general audience (uncc students). One were t-shirts informing studentts about domestic violence and I didnt really think anything of it, after I thought about it for a while I realized that people wear shirts all the time with painted stuff on it. Then I saw the Pumpkins. 
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=86c5b881cd&view=att&th=13ab3ff0c761a953&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-8Z9UsWuKt9CgA2gOlTRT2&sadet=1354501788045&sads=ZP4FJ0Uk2TR6DPeT4sfKW_x0Tns (The Voting Pumpkins)

The pumpkins were informing the students about the upcoming election. I thought this is really neat and documented it to talk it over with my group. After I had confirmed that I would base signage on this pumpkin I then had to make and interesting media based topic about this pumpkin and I thought "Hey an interview with these pumpkins would be new and different".  The first part of this process is writing the script, then the hard part came, convincing my sister to help me. I had the idea of two pumpkins, Jacklyn a sophisticated pumpkin and Dwayne and I wanted him to be like Larry off of the Vegi Tales. Well and hour and a half after starting the interview with my sister screaming at me to have a supper sparkly day, my brother having a dramatic breakdown, and my mother talking in the background we finally finished the interview which was barley two minutes long.

The process of this project was difficult in some aspects but i thought it to be much more fun than writing a paper and found that there are different ways to get your word out there. And my group helped me with my ideas and collaborate all the aspects of this project into one. Overall i thought it to be a fun, different, English assignment.


Interview with Pumpkins



(Sister yelling at me to have a sparkly day)

2 comments:

  1. I love the reference to veggie tales! I 100% agree with you that this was a different assignment and I preferred doing this project more than writing a paper. It was interesting about how you elaborated on the struggles of making the interview. I was not aware of any of this. I think it shows that there is a lot of work that goes into something that only last two minutes. Good job and great work on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this project was fun and much more interesting than any other project I've done for school this semester. I liked how you talked about the literacy connected to the domestic violence t-shirts. I walked by those numerous times, but I never related them to literacy until you presented your project.

    ReplyDelete